Much of the President’s agenda needs to be implemented with support from the 15 executive departments.
From building a border wall to boosting shale gas production, support from Secretaries such as John Kelly (DHS) and Rick Perry (Energy) is crucial.
So how strategically aligned are the Secretaries with the President?
To find out, we analyzed the actions and statements of each cabinet level Secretary and their department. We then compared them to Trump’s stance on these issues to calculate each department’s Trump Alignment Score (+100% = in full agreement with Trump).
- 5 secretaries disagree with President Trump on at least one topic;
- 9 departments face conflicting policy positions from President Trump on at least one issue, such as whether he truly wants a border tax;
- 4 departments earned top marks of +100%, including DeVos, Carson, Zinke, and the leaderless USDA.
- Tillerson (State), Kelly (DHS) and Sessions (Justice) all oppose a muslim registry, while supporting extreme vetting and the travel ban;
- Ross (Commerce) and Perry (Energy) both voiced support for scientific research in their departments, but will be implementing major budget reductions to scientific programs;
- When prompted, all secretaries acknowledged climate change is real
- The USDA and DOL are still missing secretaries as of March 10th. They are not disrupting President Trump’s agenda in the meantime.